This statement describes rules for users of the National Geographic website located at www.nationalgeographic.com who register ("Community") and upload material, post comments, or provide other content ("User Content") to the site. These rules also govern use of National Geographic channels on social media services (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, etc.) that permit uploading or posting of User Content. National Geographic expects its Community members and participants on National Geographic social media channels to observe the following rules ("Community Rules") whether on www.nationalgeographic.com or on social media services operated by third-parties (individually and collectively, the "Sites"):
- • Don’t be abusive towards others. National Geographic encourages open and candid discussions and debates. However, all communications should be civil and respectful. Differences of opinion are okay; personal attacks are not. Additionally, tools made available to help, such as the Report Abuse button, should not be used to stifle or censor views or to bully other users.
- • Stay on topic. Comments and contributions to the Sites should be relevant to the topic being discussed. National Geographic may remove off-topic posts or those that do not provide substantive purpose or relevance from any of the Sites it controls.
- • Keep it civil and respectful. Comments or content posted to the Sites that are violent, threatening, abusive, sexually explicit, obscene, offensive, hateful, derogatory, defamatory, or are racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable, will not be tolerated. Such comments may result in the termination of the user’s use of and registration in the Community. National Geographic may edit or entirely remove content containing profanity from any of the Sites it controls.
- • Keep it legal. Participating in, suggesting, or encouraging any illegal activity is cause for immediate removal and termination of a user’s use of and registration in the Community. National Geographic may edit or entirely remove such posts from any of the Sites it controls.
- • No spam. Posting the same message to one or many articles, galleries or discussions is considered spam, and National Geographic may remove such postings from any of the Sites it controls.
- • No solicitation. National Geographic may remove posts containing unsolicited personal or commercial solicitations or advertising from any of the Sites it controls (e.g., "Friend me on Facebook.", "Win a free laptop", etc.).
- • Observe copyright and trademark law. The posting of copyrighted videos, photos, articles or other material beyond what is protected as fair use is prohibited, and National Geographic may remove such posts from any of the Sites it controls. Do not pass off someone else’s trademark as your own.
- • No impersonations. The registration of multiple accounts in the Community for the purpose of trolling or harassing other users or with the intent to disrupt the flow of conversation is prohibited. Engaging in this type of behavior may result in all user names being banned from the Community.
- • Protect your privacy. Do not post personal or any other information that you do not want made public. National Geographic may remove any reference to the identity of a participant with the exception of what is disclosed upon registration from any of the Sites it controls.
- • Respect the privacy of others. National Geographic may remove from any of the Sites it controls any reference to personal information about other users or National Geographic employees (apart from what they have disclosed on the Sites) that can be used to identify or locate them, or that could otherwise be deemed to constitute an invasion of privacy.
- • Don’t upload or post inappropriate content. If a user uploads or posts inappropriate, pornographic or shocking content to the Sites, such user may be banned from the Community. National Geographic may also edit or entirely remove such posts from any of the Sites it controls.
In addition, Community members are also required to read and abide by the complete Terms Of Service of nationalgeographic.com, and persons who post User Content on National Geographic channels on social media services are expected to follow the complete Terms of Service of those respective services. National Geographic reserves the right (but assumes no obligation) to delete, move, or edit any User Content that comes to its attention that National Geographic considers unacceptable or inappropriate, whether for legal or other reasons, on any of the Sites controlled by National Geographic. Conduct by any user that, at the sole discretion of National Geographic, restricts or inhibits any other user of the Sites from using or enjoying the Sites will not be permitted on any of the Sites controlled by National Geographic. National Geographic reserves the right to refuse access to the Sites under its control or revoke Community membership to any user for any reason, including, without limitation, a reasonable belief that the user in question has violated these Community Rules, the Terms of Service for www.nationalgeographic.com, any other operating rules or Terms of Service posted on the Sites, or any of the copyright or trademark laws of the United States
Copyright © 2011 National Geographic Society. All rights reserved.