Birthplace: Detroit, Michigan
Current City: Seattle, Washington
What did you want to be when you were growing up?
How did you get started in your field of work?
Conducted a field study on lions in Masai Mara, Kenya, at the age of 19-20 years old. Turned 20 during the study.
What inspires you to dedicate your life to your work?
A desire to help save the planet
What's a normal day like for you?
Data analysis, writing manuscripts and grants, advising students, advising researchers interested in our methods
What has been your favorite experience in the field? The most challenging?
Watching a female baboon give birth was my favorite experience.
What are your other passions?
Playing saxophone, hiking, my family and animals
What do you do in your free time?
Bike, hike, travel, scuba dive, play music, spend time with family
If you could have people do one thing to help reduce the human impact on the planet, what would it be?
Get people to conserve the resources they use in their everyday lives and recognize the impacts of their overconsumption
Latest Explorer News
- Next LIVE Twitter Chat With Epic Walker @PaulSalopek
- Coyote Chomps on Sleeping Bag … With Explorer Still Inside
- How Not to Get Eaten by a Polar Bear
- Explorers Save Abandoned Puppy
- How smartphones fill the healthcare gap in Myanmar
- Twenty Years After the Shooting Stopped, Sarajevo Searches for Its Future
- The World’s Newest Batch of Brilliance
- Uniting Ocean and Earth for Climate Action
- How the Naledi Team Solved a 1,550-Piece Puzzle
- Video: Inside the Largest Ivory Seizure in West Africa
Meet Our Biologists
Datta explores the conservation challenges facing one of India's last vast tracts of wilderness.
Our Explorers in Action
Meet female explorers who have pushed the limits in adventure, science, and more.