The Golden Gate National Parks BioBlitz is an exciting opportunity for anyone interested in science and nature to accompany experts on a biological field inventory in the parks. Inventories will focus on a wide range of different taxonomic groups, including birds, insects, and plants, and there will also be less specific inventories that explore all that lives in a particular part of a park. No matter what inventory you are on, you will have a great time out in the field learning, exploring, sampling, and documenting the parks’ stunning array of living diversity.
Below are some useful resources to help you prepare
Every participant (or parent/guardian of a minor) must print, sign, and turn in the liability waiver at check-in before participating in a BioBlitz inventory. Printed copies will also be available at check-in if you forget.
DOWNLOAD WAIVER (PDF)
All inventory participants will need good hiking (close-toed) shoes, a hat, layers, water, long pants, and a snack. Please note any special information in the inventory description.
Important Points for Field Inventory Participants
- All minors (under 18) must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- In general, inventory teams are best suited for ages 8 and older. There will be many hands-on and educational activities at the BioBlitz Festival that will appeal to all ages, including younger children.
- Plan extra travel time to accommodate for traffic. Also, many of the roads are windy and require reduced speed. Please check in at least 20 minutes before your team is scheduled to depart.
- If you need to cancel or make a change to your registration, please contact email@example.com. Once you have registered on the online site, an administrator must make any changes.
- Check out the FAQ sheet for answers to many questions, or email.
Enjoy music from the fun and funky Banana Slugs Band, live animal demonstrations, science rappers, storytellers, photography workshops, and more.
Record What You See
Smartphones and the app from iNaturalist will be key to documenting species and uploading them to National Park Service species databases.
(SMS subscription service. Up to 4msg/mo. Msg&Data Rates May Apply. Text STOP to 50555 to STOP.) Full Terms
BioDiversity Festival Spotlight
Don’t miss the opportunity to meet and learn from National Geographic photographers, explorers, and editors.