According to tribal history, the Amahami had always lived along the upper Missouri River. Although similar to the Hidatsa, both in culture and language they were closer to the Mandan.
By 1787 the Amahami had been joined by two other Hidatsa tribes in the same area. Their agricultural produce, especially corn, and their location at the confluence of two rivers made them an integral link in regional commerce.
The Amahami called themselves Ahaharway and their neighbors the Mandan referred to them as the Wattasoon. Throughout the expedition journals, Lewis and Clark mentioned them by both names.
Most of Lewis and Clark's contact was with Amahami Chief Tatuckcoprinreha (White Buffalo Robe Unfolded). They discussed trade and peace negotiations that Lewis was trying to broker between the Mandan-Hidatsa and the Arikara.
The Amahami occupied the first of three Hidatsa villages noted by the Corps near the confluence of the Knife and Missouri Rivers. Their village, on the right bank of the Missouri River, was composed of timber lodges that housed several families and their prized horses. It was surrounded by a wall that provided protection against Sioux raiding parties.
In spring 1834, this village, and Metaharta, the next village along the river, were destroyed by Sioux raiding parties.
Today, with the Arikara and Mandan, many Hidatsa reside on the Fort Berthold Reservation in North Dakota.
WILLIAM CLARKOctober 27, 1804
"passed the 2d village and camped opsd. the Village of the Weter soon which is Situated on an eminance in a plain on the L.S. [left side]."