|St. Johns Church at Lafayette Square (16th and H Streets N.W.; phone: +1 202 347 8766) |
This landmark was designed in 1815 by Benjamin Latrobe, who also modified the original plans for the White House. It is sometimes referred to as the Church of the Presidents because every President since Madison has attended services here. (John Kennedy was Catholic, so he attended but didn't actually participate). The bell was molded from a British cannon captured during the War of 1812.