Last summer, we awarded full scholarships to 22 students, providing learning opportunities to students from a wide variety of backgrounds and creating a richer and more diverse experience for every student involved.
Students completing grades 7 through 12 who are legal residents of the United States or Canada are eligible to apply for a National Geographic Student Expeditions scholarship.
The scholarship program generally considers students whose parents' combined income is less than $50,000 and who have few assets. Each year, we receive many scholarship applications, and allocation of scholarship funds is competitive.
Scholarship Application Materials
Your completed application must be received by mail at the address specified below no later than March 1, 2020. Applications will not be accepted online or via email or fax. Applications must arrive by the deadline with all requested application components in order to be considered. Application deposits are waived for applicants.
A complete application consists of:
- 2020 National Geographic Student Expeditions Scholarship Application and Agreement Form
- Copy of parents’ or guardians’ most recent federal tax returns and/or verification of non-taxable income (Financial documentation from all contributing households is required.)
- Parent/Guardian statement explaining the household’s financial obligations and need for financial support (If the applicant is financially emancipated or serves as head of household, this can be completed by the applicant.)
- Applicant Statement (See instructions on the Application Form.)
- Two Completed Teacher Reference Forms (To maintain confidentiality, references should be placed in sealed envelopes with the teacher’s signature across the seal.)
Submit completed applications to:
National Geographic Student Expeditions
c/o Putney Student Travel
345 Hickory Ridge Road
Putney, Vermont 05346
Support the Student Expeditions Scholarship Program
National Geographic makes an annual donation to the scholarship fund; however, the long-term success of this important program will depend on the generosity of donors. Your support is greatly appreciated! Make a donation.
Meet a few of our scholarship recipients
Hear from some of our past scholarship recipients as they describe how they were impacted by their travel experience with National Geographic.