The Adventure Life with Steve Casimiro Gear Review: No Lasik, But I Can See Clearly Now
Dramatic rendering of BEFORE and AFTER. Text and photographs by West Coast Editor Steve Casimiro
Lasik? No way. Not when there’s something better and safer.
The 95 percent success rate of Lasik eye surgery is a small comfort to the other 5 percent (up to 600,000 people) who have had complications or complaints. And even if the rate is just 1 in 100, it still seems a pretty big risk to take on something as precious as your vision—especially to athletes, photographers, and the other folks who might use their eyes from time to time.
Indeed, prompted by complaints over failed, botched, or ineffective surgeries, an FDA panel is meeting today to look at whether doctors are overselling the procedure and underselling the risks.
But like I said, there’s something a lot better.
- Nat Geo Expeditions