Room Air Conditioner Buying Guide
- Turn it down. If your unit has a thermostat, set it to 78 degrees F.
- Fan only. At night, use your air conditioner's fan-only mode.
- Use the recirculate option instead of constantly cooling hot air from outdoors.
- Turn the air conditioner off when you're out.
- Clean the filter often, (biweekly or as needed), and where possible, hose down the back of the unit to remove debris that can clog cooling coils.
- Seal leaks. Make sure window models are installed as tightly as possible to prevent hot air from seeping in around the unit's edges.
© 1996-2018 National Geographic Society.