101 Reasons to Travel Now: Transportation
We've scoured the globe in search of the best hidden gems to experience around the world. Here are some of the best ways to travel from point A to point B.
From the October 2015 issue of Traveler magazine
Reasons to Travel Now: 1-13
1. MAGICAL MOROCCAN CAMEL RIDE:
From the back of a camel, Morocco’s Erg Chebbi (“sand sea”) glows rose gold and orange at sunset. Overnighting in a Berber camp caps off a spiritual, meditative journey.
2. SCOTLAND'S OWN ROUTE 66:
The new North Coast route is 500 rugged miles of photo-worthy hillsides, castles, and seaside villages.
3. WALK THIS WAY:
Big Apple views loom and cars zoom below as you stroll across the Brooklyn Bridge walkway, still the most scenic approach into Manhattan.
4. SLOW BOAT TO NANTUCKET:
The best way to reach the all-American beach mecca in Massachusetts isn’t the speedy hydrofoil from Hyannis but the slower ferry, which takes two-and-a-half stress-shedding hours.
5. JOYRIDES WITH “JUCY”:
Imported from New Zealand, these retrofitted Dodge Caravans are the more nimble, next-gen RVs, packed with double beds, fridge, and a stove.
6-10. CRUISE AROUND THE WORLD:
- Nile, Egypt: Pharaohs’ tombs, palm-skirted shores, and tales of Queen Hatshepsut, in a complex land
- Irrawaddy, Myanmar: Temples, jungle-clad banks, rice paddies, and Intha fishermen who ply boat oars with one leg
- Rhine, Germany: Quaint castles and half-timbered towns along a hardworking European shipping lane
- Antarctica: Gentoo penguins and Weddell seals at the stark, unearthly end of the world
- Norway Fjords: Impossibly blue water, towering cliffs, and glacier and waterfall views in Frozen country
11. FUN IN FUNICULARS:
- Nat Geo Expeditions
Reach the heady heights of Valparaiso, Chile, on one of the port city’s click-clacking, hundred-year-old incline cable railways, or ascensors.
12. PREDAWN TUK TUK:
In Cambodia, buzz down the streets of Siem Reap in complete darkness riding in an auto rickshaw, before landing at Angkor Wat for sunrise over the temples.
13. COOLEST PASSPORT:
Hikers on the Camino de Santiago de Compostela, in France and Spain, fill a paper Pilgrim's Record with inked stamps collected along the way at inns, churches, and tourist offices.
More from 101 Reasons to Travel Now: Experiences to get you moving (#14-24) >>