Art Lover’s Destination Guide
We’d never heard of it until today, but American Style, “the premier arts lifestyle magazine for art lovers, collectors and travelers,” has a lot of nifty content for the discerning wanderer. Each issue lists hundreds of arts festivals, gallery openings and museum events nationwide.
We got a sneak peek at their February 2008 issue, in which they’ve asked readers to vote on the top ten art fairs and festivals in the country. Here’s a smattering of our favorites that made the list:
- Scottsdale Arts Festival (Scottsdale, Arizona, March) The civic center in Oldtown Scottsdale comes alive with the wares of 200 artists and live music and roaming performers.
- Long’s Park Art & Craft Festival (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, May) Each Labor D ay weekend, this 70-acre park is filled with hundreds of artists from around the country. Enjoy live performances and local wine and craft beer tastings.
- Francisco’s Farm Arts Festival at Midway College (Midway, Kentucky, June) Head over to the Kentucky Music Stage to hear some bluegrass before shopping for handcrafted items on the rolling campus of the state’s only women’s college, situated on a 205-acre working farm.
- Des Moines Arts Festival (Des Moines, Iowa, June) Our Des Moines denizen Katie Knorovsky noted in recent (and much commented on) post: “Downtown transforms into an incredible outdoor art gallery” for this three-day party with multiple performance stages, food vendors, and more than 100 visual artists competing for a juried prize.
- Bi-annual Craft Fair of the Southern Highlands (Asheville, North Carolina, July & October) Folks have been attending this southern craft fair for more than 60 years. Over 200 guild members display and demonstrate their crafts, much of it traditional to the Appalachian highlands.
Baltimore-based American Style also releases an annual list of the Top 25 Arts Destinations. You can cast vote for your favorite fine arts city here. IT is glad we’ve found a magazine that lets us support the arts, shop, and travel all the same time! For more markets and fairs, check out Traveler’s list of Worldwide Markets, part of our online Authentic Shopping Guide.
- Nat Geo Expeditions