Event-o-Rama: 5 Must-Dos in November
There are some amazing events on tap all over the world, all the time. Here’s a taste of what you can see and do in November:
- Wait for it…At 11:11 a.m. on the 11th day of the 11th month, thousands of jesters will take to the streets of Düsseldorf, Germany, for a carnival kick-off unlike any other—the Awakening of Hoppeditz (November 11). For the next three months—what’s known as the fifth season—this Rhine-side city will host more than 300 events, including a wheelbarrow race, costume balls, and the Rosenmontagszug parade, Germany’s version of Mardi Gras.
- Cast your sins out to sea and usher in a year of good fortune at the Loy Krathong Festival (November 7) in Phuket, Thailand. Thousands of glowing floats (a krathong is a buoyant, adorned basket) dot the shoreline come sundown on the night of the full moon of the twelfth Thai month, setting the festival of lights in motion. Purchase your own lantern and make a wish or simply sit back and enjoy the dazzling view.
- Celebrate the culture behind the cup (of joe) at the 44th annual Kona Coffee Cultural Festival (November 7-16) on Hawaii’s Big Island. The hyper-caffeinated extravaganza features dozens of events, from an art show to a cooking contest, all honoring our favorite way to become more awake—and the farmers and artisans who make it their livelihood.
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is back for its 88th year in New York City (November 27) to kick off the holiday season. This beloved American tradition started in 1924 (with a three-year suspension during World War II), making it the second-oldest Thanksgiving parade in the United States (the oldest is in Philadelphia). Massive balloons, live music, and elaborately decorated floats combine to create an unrivaled spectacle.
- Get a taste of the Lesser Antilles at the fifth annual Barbados Food & Wine and Rum Festival (November 20-23). Visitors can enjoy cooking demos, wine tastings, and rum tours from international top chefs all along beautiful Caribbean beaches. What more could you ask for?
What would you add to the list? Let us know what we’re missing by leaving a comment.
- Nat Geo Expeditions
Book your next trip with Peace of Mind