In this tech-boom age, every season brings a new set of products that promise to simplify our lives.
But technology can be a double-edged sword. Travelers fond of the newly unveiled iPhone 5 and other state-of-the-art gadgets can be wary of bringing all that expensive gear along with them when they go abroad.
That’s why I put this list together — to highlight some stand-out gear that will fit easily into your carry on and make your next trip virtually stress-free.
Here are my recommendations for the tech-savvy traveler in no particular order:
1. The last thing you want to be doing on that once-in-a-lifetime trip is untangling a bunch of meddlesome cords. AViiQ’s portable travel bag charges your phone, camera, and other electronic gadgets via a USB hub and comes equipped with a cable rack system that will keep your cords in check.
2. Misplacing your hotel key, wallet, or smartphone is a surefire way to ruin a vacation. Keep a digital eye on all your important travel accoutrements with the Cobra Tag. Just attach the device to your keychain — after downloading the accompanying (and free) mobile app — and it will remind you when you’ve left something behind.
3. Whether you’re skiing in the Alps or surfing in Cabo, the waterproof and shock-proof Hitcase has your iPhone covered. Hitcase Pro even comes with an extended wide-angle lens that will let you capture more of the action – even underwater. You can even mount the Hitcase-enclosed iPhone to your helmet to document your adventures.
4. Music is a universal language and, in the beach-party towns like Sao Paulo and Barcelona, can heighten your appeal with the locals. NuForce’s cube-shaped speaker is tiny, weighs less than a pound, and comes in four vibrant colors. If you have a connector, you can hook up your iPod Nano and groove to a custom soundtrack on your travels.
- Nat Geo Expeditions
5. If you can’t live without music while you travel, but don’t want to create a scene, investing in good earphones is the way to go. The Vers bamboo and hardwood earphones isolate sound, so you can truly enjoy your getaway. Plus, the company has partnered with the Arbor Day Foundation to plant 100 trees for every tree used to create their products.
6. When you’re traveling, it’s easy to overwhelm your laptop, tablet, and smartphone with memories from your trip. Fear not. The new Drobo Mini was built with globetrotting videographers and photographers in mind. The “world’s most portable storage unit” weights just 2.5 pounds and can hold up to four hard drives, so you can snap away without the worry.