One Year After Sandy, Fires Plague Boardwalks and Homes That Flooded
Wiring corroded by saltwater remains a hazard, experts say.
How could last year's storm spark a fire that burned whole blocks of boardwalk and destroyed more than 50 businesses?
The answer lies in the invisible damage that floods can wreak on electrical wiring, experts say.
Even pinhole-size damage to an electrical wire's insulation can lead to the wire heating up over 200 degrees. This can spark a fire that can burn down homes, businesses, or, in this case, a beloved boardwalk that had just gotten back in business.
Using an electrical wire with damaged insulation under a boardwalk or in a home is "like driving a car on bald tires. It doesn't mean the car is going to fail, but it could," said Dave Brender, national program manager of electrical applications for