Event-o-Rama: 5 Must-Dos in September
There are some amazing events on tap all over the world, all the time. Here’s a taste of what you can see and do in September:
- Mark the changing of the seasons and the phases of the moon at the Mid-Autumn Festival (September 8) on Hong Kong Island. The annual harvest celebration boasts a fire dragon dance, a “lantern wonderland,” and mooncakes galore. What more could you ask for?
- Speaking of harvest festivals, Kerala, India, is home to one of the most spectacular: Onam (August 29-September 7). This ten-day observance commemorates the yearly homecoming of the mythical Hindu king Kahabali with snake boat races, a grand feast, and beautifully decorated houses.
- Move over, Munich, because the Rocky Mountains are serving up their 20th annual Oktoberfest (September 12-14) in Breckenridge, Colorado. This family-friendly event features beer tastings (including loads of local artisanal brews), authentic German cuisine, and a street party complete with Bavarian dancers.
- Beer and brats a little too tame for you? Head to Lima, Peru, to indulge your taste buds at the largest food festival in South America—Mistura. With a dozen or more culinary “worlds” ranging from chocolate delicacies to savory sandwiches, you’re sure to leave with a full belly and a smile on your face.
- Say farewell to summer with a trip to Barcelona for the annual Les Festes de la Mercè (September 19-24). A parade of mythical creatures, traditional Catalan castellers (towers made of carefully balanced humans, each topped with a child), and a world-class fireworks display are just a few of the highlights of this dynamic and dramatic event.
What would you add to the list? Let us know what we’re missing by leaving a comment.
- Nat Geo Expeditions
Book your next trip with Peace of Mind