There are some amazing events on tap all over the world, all the time. Here’s a taste of what you can see and do in March:
- When the Chicago River runs green, it can mean only one thing—St. Patrick’s Day has arrived. Celebrate all that is Irish with a trip to the Windy City for the 60th anniversary of its famous St. Patrick’s Day parade (March 14). Live music and yummy street noshes round out the family-friendly event.
- Harvest season may be months away in the Northern Hemisphere, but grapes are ripe for the picking below the equator. Luckily, Mendoza‘s Grape Harvest Festival (March 1-10) provides the perfect excuse to sip Argentine varietals with the Andes Mountains as the backdrop.
- Say so long (and good riddance) to winter during Las Fallas (March 1-19) in Valencia, Spain. This annual celebration of spring boasts a spectacular papier-mâché parade, a beautiful ceremony honoring the city’s patron Virgin, and a daily dose of firecrackers. What more could you ask for?
- Witness the arrival of thousands of gray whales in Tofino, British Columbia, at the Pacific Rim Whale Festival (March 14-22). For more than a week each year, the quaint coastal town toasts its honored guests with inspirational talks, children’s activities, and culinary events.
- Calling all music lovers: the Cape Town International Jazz Festival (March 27-28) is back for two days of star-studded performances. More than 40 international artists will take to the stage, but have no fear: A golf day, photography exhibit, fashion show, and more ensure everyone gets their festival fix.
What would you add to the list? Let us know what we’re missing by leaving a comment below.
- Nat Geo Expeditions