There are some amazing events on tap all over the world, all the time. Here’s a taste of what you can see and do in June:
- Want to experience the shortest day of the year in one of the most beautiful places in the world? Book your tickets to Cusco, Peru, for Inti Raymi, a traditional Inca celebration of the winter solstice that pays homage to the god Inti with colorful costumes, live reenactments, and a royal procession that you have to see to believe.
- Culture hounds, take note: The epic Athens and Epidaurus Festival is back for its 60th year. Take in theater, opera, classical music, and dance performances in some of the Greek capital’s most magnificent venues, from ancient to ultra-modern, and find out for yourself why Nat Geo Travel chose this as one of its Best Summer Trips for 2015.
- If your travel decisions revolve around your stomach, we’ve got the ultimate New York City festival for you: Taste Asia 2015. On the last weekend in June, Times Square will be transformed into a wonderland of live food demos and tasting stations celebrating the art of Asian cuisine. Just remember to pack your appetite.
- Warm weather and festivals go hand in hand, and the Danube Carnival is worth traveling for. Each year, Budapest comes alive as the sounds of traditional Hungarian folk songs and dance merge with contemporary music from all over the world. The two-week celebration also includes a spirited parade and folk art bazaar.
- Not a summer person? New Zealand has you covered. Head south of the equator to the Queenstown Winter Festival, a family-friendly fiesta that plays host to all manner of cold-weather activities, from ice skating to dog derbies and everything in between.
What would you add to the list? Let us know what we’re missing by leaving a comment below.
- Nat Geo Expeditions